Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Show is Officially on the Road

Today was my first official day of lecture, where I learned all about tripods, ball heads and small, medium and large format cameras. I am totally getting smarter already. I can feel it.

I also attended a 2 and a half hour lecture on bear safety. I can now tell you what an L plate is for your tripod, and the difference between black bear and grizzly bear tracks. It was a good day.

Yesterday was a long day of going over curriculum, rules, directions, where to park, etc. so I was really glad to dive in today. I've already met a lot of really great people, and I've been more social and introduced myself to more people in a short period of time than I think I ever have. Yesterday Arno from Finland and I sat together at lunch. We discussed the health care system in Finland. He gets to go to the dentist for $10. Sometimes it pays to be Finnish.

I don't have much to show for myself yet, but I'm sure I'll have lots of projects coming up. I will also have my own "professional level," hosted website for the time that I'm here. It's not quite up and running yet, but when it is that is where I will put most of my shots. The site is:

www.amandamarshallphotography.com

Creative, no?

As it is almost midnight and I have a long day ahead, that's all for now. Pictures to come soon...

5 comments:

Kristen said...

First to comment - yes! It's a huge relief to know that you are now certified in bear safety, and will be able to classify which type of bear is chasing you :) Looking forward to lots of pics that I will steal and put up on my screensaver.

Seth & Amy said...

Hey, I am soooo excited for you. If knowing the difference between a black bear print and a grizzle then sign me up (and my three children)! We are already missing you guys! Keep me posted on what lens to buy. Love Amy

Unknown said...

Manda bet you thought I would be the last sibling to post, but NOOOOO
Prince Paul is here to grace your blog with comment. Bear prints are good to know, but did they teach you any baar wrasslin moves? If not here are a few tips: for black baars try rubbing its belly in a vigorous counter clockwise motion. Grizz use a slower clockwise motion, but it must be accompanied by a gentile humming of Kum Ba Yah. Dont sing to the black baars cause they are tone deaf, but the Grizz do love a serenade.
Really happy for you Amanda enjoy your time

Hobo said...

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.

I'm proud of you Manda! An educated photographer. You go get 'em, tiger. Soak it all in. Can't wait to see some of your shots.

Amanda and McKay said...

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement! You are now my four most favorite people. Forever.

And Paul, how is it after all this years it's not until now that I'm privileged to gain your grizzly and black bear insights? I'm honored. And I'll definitely take the advice to heart.